Nonresident Tax Filler Built With Excel VBA
Language: Excel VBA
File: Nonresident Tax Filler
Ever since I filed my taxes last April, I was working on a tax calculator to fill out the 1040NR-EZ form PDF. I initially wanted to build the calculator on one of my pages at Sam Entries, but I decided to make an Excel file to brush up on my Excel VBA skills. It is free to download and it is open source. However, it will only calculate your 2017 taxes, and it will only assume that you are an F-1 student with a W-2 form. There are some fields in the 1040NR-EZ it will not calculate because it requires more research on my part. Therefore, this Excel macros-enabled workbook may be changed when it is time file the 2018 taxes to reflect any new regulations, and I may build the tax calculator with PHP in the future.
If you have any questions about this Excel workbook, or if there are any mistakes or errors made in this workbook, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the rest of this post, I will talk about my motivation building this tax calculator, and I will explain a bit about the VBA code and workbook.
When the 2017 tax filing deadline was coming close, I was struggling to find a way to calculate my taxes. I didn’t know whether to hire an accountant or use a tax software online.
I ended up going to Sprintax.com to calculate and file my taxes. I initially tried using Turbo Tax, but while I was filling in my tax info I realized that Turbo Tax was for green holders and US citizens. Thankfully, I didn’t file my taxes with Turbo Tax, and used Sprintax to calculate my taxes instead.
However, after I used Sprintax, I felt that I was cheated after using the site. It turns out that it cannot e-file my state and local taxes, and it just calculated my taxes for me to print out and mail to the IRS myself. On top of that, it turned out that my taxes was actually not that complicated to calculate, and that I ended up paying $60 for a fancy PDF filler.
It is at that moment that I decided to work on my own tax software so that I and others will never have to pay $60 to calculate taxes and automatically fill the 1040NR-EZ form.
The following are the worksheets in the tax filler workbook:
- Questionnaire: This sheet is used to input the information needed to calculate your federal taxes.
- 1040NR-EZ: This sheet is used to output the data used to fill in the 1040NR-EZ form.
- TaxTable2017: This contains the table of all of the taxes needed to be paid based on income ranges
- CountryNames: This contains a list of all of the countries in the world
- StateNames: This contains a list of all of the 50 states in the United States.
The following are the sub procedures and functions used in Excel VBA
- SubmitButton_Click: This sub procedure is used as an event method for the submit button in the Questionnaire sheet. It validates all of the inputs in the Questionnaire sheet, and calls the Fill_1040NR sub procedure to calculate the taxes and output the information needed to fill in the 1040NR-EZ form.
- Fill_1040NR: This sub procedure is used to to calculate the taxes and output the information needed to fill in the 1040NR-EZ form. It also calls the LoansDeduction, FillItemizedDeductions, and FillExceptionDeduction functions
- LoansDeduction: this is a private function used to calculate the student loans deductions needed to be entered in the 1040NR-EZ form.
- FillItemizedDeductions: this is a private function used to calculate the itemized deductions needed to be entered in the 1040NR-EZ form.
- this is a private function used to calculate the exception deductions needed to be entered in the 1040NR-EZ form.
- Clear_Click: this sub procedure is used to clear the information in the 1040NR-EZ sheet.